Determined to erase two of the most common skincare concerns – dark circles and puffiness? It’s time to revive tired-looking eyes with our top tips and one skincare must-have.
WHAT CAUSES DARK CIRCLES & UNDER-EYE BAGS?
Dark circles & undereye bags can be due to genetics but lifestyle factors can also have an effect. Some of the most common causes are:
- Lack of sleep: One sure-fire way to wake up with tired-looking eyes is a lack of sleep. While lack of sleep doesn’t cause dark circles, it exaggerates their appearance.
- Dehydration: When we’re dehydrated, our bodies retain water which in turn can cause puffiness.
- Lack of sun protection: UVA/UVB rays can cause your skin to look dull & uneven and make dark circles more prominent.
- Age: As we get older our skin loses its plumpness and naturally starts to thin which can make the skin around our eyes appear darker.
- Salty foods: Salt, while one of the world’s greatest gifts, can cause the body to retain more fluid which can lead to eye bags.
- Smoking: We all know that smoking is no good for us but external aggressors such as smoke can cause our skin to look & feel less fresh and healthy.
SO, HOW DO I GET RID OF PUFFINESS, DARK CIRCLES & EYE BAGS?
For many eye bags, dark circles, puffy eyes are temporary and are often an indication of ageing or lack of sleep. We have gathered a few ideas for you to improve the appearance of your eyes. Some of the most common methods include:
- Applying a cold compress. Cold compresses can reduce swelling and shrink dilated blood vessels. This can reduce the appearance of puffiness and help eliminate dark circles. Try putting a few ice cubes in a clean washcloth and applying that to your eyes. You can also dampen a washcloth with cold water and apply it to the skin under your eyes for 20 minutes for the same effect.
- Get extra sleep. Catching up on sleep can also help reduce the appearance of dark circles. Sleep deprivation can cause your skin to appear pale, making the dark circles more obvious. Allow yourself seven to eight hours of a rest to prevent dark circles from appearing.
- Elevate your head. While sleep deprivation can play in producing those dark bags under your eyes, sometimes it’s how you sleep. Elevate your head with a few pillows to prevent fluid from pooling under your eyes which can make them look puffy and swollen.
- Drink plenty of water. Keep skin firm and full looking by drinking plenty of water to prevent puffy eyes.
- Avoid alcohol. Drinking alcohol might cause fluid retention, so if you must drink, you should drink a lot of fluids along with it.
- Improve your diet. Salty foods are often the cause of water retention. Try taking some collagen supplements, foods rich in vitamin A, such as carrots and peppers, as well as foods high in vitamin C. All of them have anti-inflammatory properties and are water-soluble.
- Manage stress. Stress levels affect the cortisol levels which, in turn, increase the appearance and intensity of puffiness and bags under your eyes.
- Don’t forget your SPF. The eye area is often neglected when applying sunscreen. In addition to causing skin cancer, UVB and UVA rays can also cause wrinkles and ageing, since the sun degrades collagen and elastin, causing eye bags and sagging puffy skin. We cannot stress enough how important it is to use a daily sunscreen with a factor of at least 30 (at a minimum) and to wear sunglasses to protect your eyes.
- Use the right products and ingredients.
Our Cult51 Eye Repair was specially formulated to reduce and ultimately eliminate signs of ageing, fatigue, dark circles, and puffiness around the delicate eye area. To prove that it does just that, we put it through an independent clinical trial and, as expected, Eye Repair delivered on all expected results.
- Reduces the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines by an average of 36% in just 15 minutes
- Rich in antioxidants, reducing the levels of damaging free radicals in the skin and helping to protect skin against environmental damage
- Dramatically reduces the appearance of dark circles
- Reduces signs of puffiness and fatigue
- Increase skin elasticity by an average of 55% in just 15 minutes
Top Tip: To further help reduce eye bags & puffiness, use our Rose Quartz Roller and gently massage your eye area after you’ve applied Eye Repair.
Be gentle: The skin around our eyes is delicate, so when you remove or apply make-up be extra gentle.
All these tips above may help you keep your eyes looking their best. But don’t forget one vital tip which might be the easiest to implement - just smile :)
We are excited to announce that our Eye Repair has recently been awarded the Eye Care Specialists of the Year from the Healthy Beauty & Wellness Awards 2022!! - Want to try our award-winning eye serum? Shop here.